Before upgrading to Windows 10 we need to take care of few things that are listed below. If these conditions are followed than the upgrade will run smoothly:
1. Activated copy of windows
To upgrade your computer from windows 7 or windows 8, it is important that your current copy of windows has an activated license. You cannot upgrade to windows 10 if your previous operating system is not activated. To check the activation of your windows 8 copy, type ‘activation’ on the search box and select ‘see if windows is activated’. To check the activation of windows 7, right click on ‘computer’ and click ‘properties’. This ‘properties’ window will show if your copy of windows is activated or not.
2. Check the version of windows
Another important thing is to check if the version of windows is 32- bit or 64- bit. If it is 64 –bit version than you have to upgrade the same version of windows 10. Another important thing is that you cannot upgrade windows from 32 –bit version to 64 –bit version even if your hardware supports 64 –bit architecture. In that case, you will have to perform clean installation.
Before upgrading to windows 10 you should decide what you like to see in your computer after upgrading. For example, the files, the settings, the user accounts, etc. Windows 10 allows you to choose the appropriate options while upgrading.
There are three general options that can be selected while upgrading to windows 10:
a. Keep personal files and apps.
b. Keep personal files only.
Keep personal files and settings
Most of the users may want to select this option as this option allows you to keep all the settings from previous version of operating system. However, some users prefer to clean up all other stuff and may want to experiment new settings with windows 10. By selecting this option basic computer settings like ease of access, computers desktop background or internet favorites and history will be retained.
Keep personal files
If saving disk space is your primary concern, you may want to select this option as this option allows you to transfer only personal files from your ‘user folder’. For example, documents, desktop, downloads, etc.
What are apps: Apps are programs that are installed on your computer to work. For example, Ms office, Adobe, skype, etc are all apps. Before upgrading to windows 10 it is a good practice to generate an app report by visiting this link:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=261871. This link will help you in understanding the apps from your computer that are compatible or not with windows 10. This helps you to think wisely and decide if you really want your computer to upgrade to windows 10 or not.
Steps to upgrade windows 10
1. Open ‘Control panel’ and click ‘sytems and security’. Now click on ‘Windows update’.
2. The updates will start installing and will take few minutes to complete depending on the number of updates and required size.
3. Once the updates are complete, you will see “Upgrade to Windows 10” and ‘Get started’ links. Click on ‘Get started’ to start downloading the Windows 10 upgrade set up. The size may be around 2.6 GB approx.
4. The software license terms and agreement will be displayed. Click on “Accept”.
5. The windows upgrade window will be displayed and we are ready to install the upgrade. Her you can schedule the upgrade at a later time or you click on ‘Start upgrade now’.
6. The upgrade will take some time to install depending on the hardware configuration and the memory. The computer may restart during the upgrade process and once the upgrade is complete you will see the windows 10 desktop.